DIME is proud to announce that it recently became a member of APME (Association for Popular Music Education). The mission of the Association for Popular Music Education (APME) is to promote and advance popular music at all levels of education both in the classroom and beyond. DIME very much enjoyed presenting at this year’s conference in Denver, and meeting like-minded music educators.
APME was created to advocate for popular music education and its advancement as a discipline. It provides educational opportunities for teachers and students, honors the rich history of popular music, and develops innovative ways to create, perform, and teach it. APME also serves to bring together all involved in the pursuit of teaching and making popular music at all levels, including higher education, contemporary music programs, music companies, manufacturers, and popular music organizations.
APME GOALS & OBJECTIVES
- To promote the education of popular music (advocacy)
- To create educational opportunities for educators and students of popular music at all levels
- To identify, develop, and promote best practices in the teaching and learning of popular music
- To encourage a connection between the music industries and popular music education
- To foster collaboration among artists, teachers, scholars, and organisations to advance popular music